First post of my study abroad blog here I go! In two and a half weeks I leave for 5 months to study at the University of the South Pacific in Suva, Fiji. I am excited and nervous! I’m starting this blog now as to track my adventure from preparation to reflection.
First a few facts about the Fiji Islands.
They are located in the Pacific Ocean northeast of Australia and New Zealand.
- Population: 850,000 (about the size of St. Loui)
- Languages: English, Fijian, Fiji Hindi
- Area: 7,000 square miles or 18,000 kilometers squared
- Currency: Fijian Dollar (which currently is about 1.82 FJ per 1 American dollar –> http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=USD&to=FJD&view=1M)
I’ll post more facts later. Now it is way past my bedtime here and there is lots left to do:
- Decide what courses to take while in Fiji
- Take money out of my big savings account?
- Buy a tablet or netbook?
- Get finances in order
- Haircut and other appointments
- Buy a 3-prong adapter